Section 3 Certified Contractor
Hemphill Construction Company & Suncoast Infrastructure are Section 3 Certified Contractors. If you are a Section 3 resident, you are eligible for preference in employment opportunities with our organization. To request preference, you must be a Section 3 resident, complete the required Section 3 certification form and provide supporting documentation to confirm your eligibility.
What is Section 3?
Section 3 is a provision of the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Act of 1968 that helps foster local economic development, neighborhood economic improvement, and individual self-sufficiency. The Section 3 program requires that recipients of certain HUD financial assistance, to the greatest extent feasible, provide job training, employment, and contracting opportunities for low- or very-low income residents in connection with projects and activities in their neighborhoods.
Who are Section 3 residents?
• Public housing residents or
• Persons who live in the area where a HUD-assisted project is located and who have a household income that falls below HUD’s income limits.
Determining Income Levels
• Low income is defined as 80% or below the median income of that area.
• Very low income is defined as 50% or below the median income of that area.
Who receives priority under Section 3?
• Persons in public and assisted housing
• Persons in the area where the HUD financial assistance is spent
• Participants in HUD Youthbuild programs
• Homeless persons
How do I request Section 3 preference?
• Answer yes to Section 3 preference on your employment application;
• Complete the HUD Section 3 resident certification form for your county of residence; and
• Provide the employer with documentation of your Section 3 eligibility (public housing lease, federal assistance receipt or tax return)
For more information on the Section 3 program, visit your local HUD office or go to http://hud.gov/Section3
Send Us Your Resume!
If you do not see the position listed in which you would like to apply, you may select “Submit Your Resume for Future Openings” option above to send us your resume and qualifications. Other positions include, but not limited to:
- equipment and safety
- project management